Sunday, July 30, 2006

Impermanence

Thursday afternoon I hear a thud, that all too familiar thud of a bird hitting the window. I was not as loud as I have heard them hit. I go to the window and look. Sure enough a bird hit the screen and there it lay. I run outside to see if it is ok, as most just knock the wind out of themselves. I got to its side as it closed its eyes. Baby 2, as I had named it not a couple of hours previous, dies. It was a cardinal and its parents were bringing it to the feeder with them. I immediately felt terrible, saddened that their baby died and they were most likely watching. I picked the baby up and laid it under a pine tree near the edge of the forest. I thought how sad the parents must have felt, but I suppose this is just me attributing human qualities to the birds. This made me think of how short life is, and how quickly it can be over. The parents worked hard to keep their baby alive, and now it was done. There was nothing they could have done to prevent this accident, yet they were able to raise their baby, see it fly, and be with it for the time they had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home